CERTIFICATE IN ENGLISH (IELTS PREPARATION)(JPT/BPP(K)1000-600/WP143(6))
|Course Duration||8 Months|
|Entry Requirements||Pass KAGC English Placement Test (EPT)|
KAGC’s School of English is founded on premises of confidence and responsibility whereby students make decisions and plans to pursue their career and advance their life-long goals. The students are concurrently assessed based on International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS). The school has incorporated and designed an innovative Intensive English Preparation (IEP/IELTS) programme that measure the students competency in Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking skills. The IEP/IELTS programme is offered in separate levels of entry, determined by the English Placement Test, with progression towards the ADVANCE – IELTS Preparation for Examination. The test is held at a British Council approved testing centre. The programme is also infused with essential skills in confidence, responsibility and power at the respective level equipping candidates the strengths to excel in job interviews, career advancement and entrepreneurship.
Course ModuleThe following subjects are indicative of what you will study on this course. For more details on course structure and modules and how the subjects will be taught and assessed, please contact KAGC course counsellors.
BEGINNERThis level is the first step to teaching students about the four skills in the English language (reading, writing, speaking and listening) along with basic preliminary vocabulary and pronunciation. This is the first step towards mastering English language in order to participate in the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam.
- Acquire the most Basic English grammar, reading, writing, listening and speaking skills.
- Familiarize with the English alphabet and its pronunciation.
- Acquire the basic and preliminary vocabulary for their daily conversation.
- Construct basic sentence structure and the information of short simple paragraphs.
- Teach students to write basic simple sentences in English and to equip them with language tools for daily communication usage.
INTERMEDIATEThe third level of study is the Intermediate stage where students will continue to gain more understanding of the four language skills. They will acquire more insights of the language use through role plays, exchanging information, storytelling and expressing opinions and comments in discursive essays and descriptive writing. Our teaching materials such as ‘Music of English and Spoken English’ will help student to learn and practise the uses of tone, stress, and informal phrases to express the right meanings in conversations.
- Understand the main points of standard input on familiar matters regularly encounters in school, work and leisure.
- Produce simple connected text on topics which are of personal interest.
- Describe experiences, events and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
UPPER INTERMEDIATEThe final level of study is the Upper intermediate to Advanced which is a review of all the four language structures (reading, writing, speaking and listening) that the students have learned. There is strong grammar focus, clear vocabulary syllabus and integrated skill developments such as intensive writing on formal letters, emails, job applications, narrative writing and report writing. It also continues to develop the students’ creative writing skills and engages students with two new subjects including Introduction to Drama and Introduction to Literature.
- Understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics including technical discussion in his/her field of specialization.
- Use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes.
- Produce well structured, detailed text on complex matters with correct organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
ADVANCEDThe advanced level is the last level of study in the English programme. This level is a review of all the four language structures (reading, writing, speaking and listening) that the students have learned. It also provides students with a complete knowledge of the four language skills that they need in order to sit for the IELTS exam. It also continues to develop the students’ creative writing skills and familiarizes students with two new subjects including introduction to Drama and introduction to Literature.
- Acquire all there is to know about the four language skills so that the students are fully prepared to participate in the IELTS examination.
- Fully develop the students’ writing skills, speaking skills, presentation skills, comprehension skills, professional communication skills, theatrical and literacy skills.
Upon completion of this course the students may pursue to the following:
- IELTS Test
- Diploma & Bachelor (Hons) in TESL/TEFL/TESOL
- Further Education to foreign and local University placement/ Migration/ Professional Studies